Rant: high sounding language unsupported by dignity of thought - Samuel Johnson

Monday 19 October 2009

Shall I be mother?

They say there's a time when every woman has to face up to the fact that she's turning into her mother. Now is my time.

When we were on holiday we met a woman from Dunfermline, Scotland. She told me I looked very familiar - in fact she was convinced we had met before. I had never seen her before in my life. However, I did live in Dunfermline for 10 years before moving to the south of England in 1988. I suggested how she might have seen me before (I worked for the local paper, was in the local amateur operatic society, etc) but we drew a blank.

Grace is a retired teacher, and she wondered whether she had ever taught me. No, I said, because I didn't go to school in Dunfermline - I was brought up in Glenrothes. It turns out that Grace taught at the school I attended - but not until 10 years after I left.

However, my mum also taught at that school and that's why I looked so familiar - I look just like my mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment