Rant: high sounding language unsupported by dignity of thought - Samuel Johnson

Wednesday 16 September 2009

I don't believe it!

Herts County Council has apologised after a sign reading “Taking an old bag for a ride” was displayed on the side of a bus used to transport pensioners. The sign was part of Sainsbury’s latest ad campaign, which encourages shoppers to reuse carrier bags.

The council agreed to remove it from its “Dial a Ride” service after a 75-year-old passenger complained. The pensioner said: “It can’t be just me that finds it upsetting to read such unpleasant words on a bus designed to help elderly people.” Actually, love, it was just you. Nobody else complained.

I can imagine my mum enjoying the joke so much she would have had her picture taken sitting behind the sign. I mean, even the Duchess of Cornwall had a giggle when she was photographed carrying a canvas shopper bearing the slogan "I'm an old bag from Deptford". (See the pic here)

As they get older, some people seem to lose the ability to laugh at themselves. I pray to the spirit of Victor Meldrew that I'm not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment